Friday, March 23, 2012

Bavarian Cream Cupcakes

We've been having unusually warm weather, which I absolutely love.  Unfortunately, the weeds in my landscape seem to love it just as much as I do, since they have sprouted like it's nobody's business.  My plan was to spend the day pulling those unwelcome weeds before the dreaded little yellow flower turns to seed.  Mother nature did not cooperate with my plans since it has been raining all through the night and most of today.  I'm afraid the weeds are probably loving all this rain and will be double in size by the time I get a chance to pull them.

The rain however, will not deter me into unproductiveness as I've decided to use the time to clean, clean, clean and work on some Bavarian Pudding cupcakes in between all of my cleaning.  Must be the onset of spring that is generating all my spring cleaning energy.

This cupcake turned out to be just like a little ray of sunshine in an otherwise dreary day.



Bavarian Cream Cupcakes
Yield 18-20 cupcakes

Ingredients


For the Golden Cake
1 cup cake Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
4 Eggs at room temperature
3/4 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Buttermilk
1/4 cup Vegetable or Canola Oil
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

For the Chocolate Glaze
4 ounces semisweet Chocolate, finely chopped (or you can use semisweet chocolate chips)
1/3 cup Heavy Cream
1 tablespoon Light Corn Syrup

For the Filling
I took a short cut here and used already prepared Bavarian cream filling from my local cake supply store.  You can use homemade though, and I am sure it would be even more delicious!  I had purchased the filling the other day while at the supply store and thought I would give it a try.  It's actually quite good, and the one used by local bakeries, so for now I'm sticking with it.

Directions


1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2.  Place cupcake liners in cupcake pans.

3.  Sift together flour, baking powder and salt three times; set aside.

4.  In a the bowl of a heavy duty mixer, add eggs and sugar.  Beat on high until light and fluffy, 8 minutes.

5.  In another bowl, mix buttermilk, oil and vanilla.

6.  Gently fold flour mixture into egg mixture.

7.  Gently fold in milk mixture.

Note:  The batter is watery.


8.  Fill cupcake lines two-thirds full.

9.  Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

10.  Remove from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.

Meanwhile, prepare the glaze.

1.  Place finely chopped chocolate (or chips) in a small bowl.  Set aside.

2.  Boil cream and corn syrup then pour over chocolate and let sit for a few minutes.  After the chocolate has melted, whisk till smooth.  Set aside to cool.  You can also cover with plastic wrap and set in the refrigerator to speed cooling process.

Assembly


1.  I used Wilton's tip #230 for filling the cupcakes with the Bavarian cream.  You can also cut a hole in the top of the cupcake, add about 1-2 tablespoons of the filling, then reattach the tops.

2.  Dip filled cupcakes in chocolate glaze, allowing excess to drip back into bowl.  (Or use and offset spatula to frost the cupcake.)





These cupcakes remind me of the yummy, pudding-filled donuts my hubby reaches for at church.  I am sure he is going to love these!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment